By Han Hidalgo (biercuisine.nl)
Ingredients for four persons
- 500 grams sepia (=cuttlefish) or squid, cleaned and cut into cubes
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic, squeezed
- 200 grams of green peas, fresh or deep fried
- 1 pinch of saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons of olive and sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons grilled red paprika, into strips
- 2.5 dl fish broth
- pepper from the pepper mill and salt to your taste
Defrost the green peas if from the freezer. Sprinkle the sepia or the squid, cleaned and cut into cubes, with a bit of salt and allow to rest. Peel the shallots and cut into pieces. Peel the garlic. Heat the oil in a frying pan and heat the pieces of sepia shortly. Add pieces of shallot and the bay leaf.
Add the stock while stirring and lower the heat source. Stew for about 45 minutes or a bit longer.
Halfway the cooking time add the saffron threads, garlic from the squeezer and the green peas.
If necessary, add extra stock. At the end of the cooking time remove the bay leaf and flavor with pepper and salt.
Serve with lightly toasted bread or French bread as an appetizer.
Garnish with a strip of grilled red paprika.
Serve with a well-chilled glass of Saison d’Erpe-Mere of brewery De Glazen Toren.
This beer adds a fresh touch to this appetizer.